Deadline: April 30, 2020
Applications are open for the Nikon Small World Photomicrography Competition 2020. The Nikon Small World Competition first began in 1975 as a means to recognize and applaud the efforts of those involved with photography through the light microscope. Since then, Small World has become a leading showcase for photomicrographers from the widest array of scientific disciplines.
A photomicrograph is a technical document that can be of great significance to science or industry. But a good photomicrograph is also an image whose structure, color, composition, and content is an object of beauty, open to several levels of comprehension and appreciation.
Top prize winners are selected and ranked by Small World Judges.
- 1st Prize – USD $3,000 and a trip to Japan for two
- 2nd Prize – USD $2,000
- 3rd Prize – USD $1,000
- 4th Prize – USD $800
- 5th Prize – USD $600
- 6th Prize – USD $400
- 7th – 10th Prizes – USD $300 each
- 11th – 20th Prizes – USD $200 each
- Honorable Mentions – USD $100 each. The number of Honorable Mention Prizes will be determined by the Judges in their sole discretion.
- Open only to individuals who are at least eighteen (18) years old at the time of entry and have access to a light microscope.
- Informational Content
- Technical Proficiency
- Artistic and Visual Impact
Guidelines and Restrictions
- Images must be submitted in .jpeg, .png, .psd, or .tiff format.
- Images should be submitted with the highest quality with regard to file size, bit depth and resolution.
- Images do not need to be taken with a Nikon-branded microscope.
- Images must be taken by Entrant using a light microscope. Images taken with an electron or any other microscope(s) that do not capture imagery using optical light technology are not eligible.
- Macro photography is not eligible.
- Images that have competed previously in any active or ongoing photomicrography competition, and/or that have won any other photomicrography competition, are not eligible.
- The Submission must be in the English language.
- The Submission must not contain material that violates or infringes another’s rights, including but not limited to trademark, privacy, publicity or other intellectual property rights, or that constitutes copyright infringement.
- The Submission must not disparage Sponsor, Administrator or any other person or entity.
- The Submission must not contain brand names, logos and/or trademarks; any URL addresses; and/or the names, addresses, phone numbers, email addresses, image, and/or likenesses of third parties.
- The Submission must not contain viruses, Trojan horses, worms, bots, spyware or any other computer code that is intended to or does damage, interfere with and/or surreptitiously intercept or expropriate any system, data or information.
- The Submission must not contain material that is inappropriate, indecent, discriminatory, obscene, hateful, tortious, defamatory, slanderous or libelous, or contain material that is otherwise unlawful, in violation of or contrary to any applicable laws or regulations.
How to Enter
During the Competition Entry Period, and:
- Follow the links and instructions to complete the Competition entry form, including your name, telephone number, email address, a valid home address (P.O. Boxes are not permitted), country, the school, institution or other organization the Entrant is affiliated with and the address of such Affiliation, the type, make and model of the equipment used to capture the entry(ies) submitted to this Competition, a description of each image submitted, and other information requested by Sponsor;
- Upload up to three (3) photomicrographic digital images taken by the Entrant to the Entry Form.
- Indicate your agreement with these Official Rules and that Sponsor may contact Entrant regarding this Competition using any of the Registration Information submitted on the Entry Form, by checking the box displayed on the Entry Form and submitting the Entry Form together with all Registration Information and Images.