Deadline: March 15, 2020
Applications are open for the IWMF Latin America Reporting Initiative Fellowship 2020 in Florencia, Colombia. As part of the IWMF’s Latin America reporting initiative, Adelante, five journalists will travel to Florencia, Colombia from May 23 – June 2, 2020.
All reporting fellows will begin their trip in Mexico City on May 18 where they will complete a four-day Hostile Environment and First Aid Training (HEFAT) course from May 19-22. Fellows will then depart for ten days of reporting in Florencia and the surrounding area. The focus of this reporting trip is to generate media coverage of under-reported issues in Colombia and to promote new narratives in the international media. IWMF is specifically interested in pitches that address conflict, the peace process, and environmental issues.
Fellows will have the opportunity to network with other journalists, report collaboratively with their teammates and peers, and gain access to a variety of sources and sites related to their reporting. The feasibility of trips outside of the base location in Colombia will be assessed on a case-by-case basis and determined by IWMF security protocols. Any travel must be within a three-hour radius of the base location.
- The IWMF arranges travel and in-country logistics for all fellows.
- The IWMF also covers fellowship-related costs within the framework of the reporting trip including travel, visa fees, lodging, meals and fixers/interpreters, unless a selected journalist’s news organization wishes to assume these costs.
- Fellows living outside the U.S. are responsible for procuring all necessary visas for which they will be reimbursed at the conclusion of the fellowship.
- Open to affiliated or freelance women-identifying or non-binary journalists with three (3) or more years of professional experience working in news media. Internships do not count toward professional experience.
- Applicants must be fluent in Spanish.
- Applicant must be able to show proof of interest from an editor or have a proven track record of publication in prominent media outlets.
For more information, visit IWMF.