Deadline: June 5, 2020
Applications are open for the BeChangeMaker Africa 2020. BeChangeMaker Africa is an online training programme that combines social entrepreneurship and the power of skills to inspire action on global challenges.
Building on the success of the global programme, BeChangeMaker Africa, will create a strong regional ecosystem to bring regional and local partners together to support African entrepreneurs.
BeChangeMaker Africa, continues to provide access to high quality learning content on HP LIFE, tools and technology for startup acceleration, dedicated coaching, mentoring and customized support, as well as the opportunity to draw from a diverse global network of potential supporters and investors. It is also part of the implementation of the African Union’s 1 Million by 2021 Initiative.
Become a BeChangeMaker Africa offers:
- Business plan training through HPLIFE
- Coaching & Mentorship
- Connections to global networks
- Turn your skills into actions and impact
- Chance to join a mini bootcamp followed by a semi-final
- Chance to pitch your idea to a panel of experts at the grand finale
Through the free virtual training model youth around the world gain access to the training, education, and mentorship to transfer their technical skills into business ideas. Together we are working with young entrepreneurs to address the Africa‘s Agenda 2063 and the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
Thirty teams from across the African Union Member States will be chosen to participate in three months of intensive training and coaching, which includes online pitch competitions to pick the top five teams that will be invited to join an online bootcamp followed by the semi-final. Top three teams will be selected to join the grand finale.
The top five teams will each receive EUR 1,000 worth of customized post-programme training. Additionally, the top three teams will receive EUR 1,500 cash prize, and the first place winner will receive another EUR 1,500 cash prize at the final.
To be eligible to enter the BCM, the participants must:
- be from 18 to 35 years old
- be receiving general or vocational education and training or have finished general or vocational education and training at the time of participation
- join the BCM alone or with a maximum of four other participants as a team (total team size is five persons maximum)
- be responsible for ensuring that their participation in the BCM complies with any policies of their corporations, agencies, institutions, schools, or colleges where they are employed or trained. WorldSkills International and the HP Foundation are not responsible for any disputes arising between participants and their employers, schools, or colleges.
The participants will be evaluated based on their team performance by a panel of judges at the pitch competitions. The main judging criteria include, but not limited to the followings:
- Relevance: how relevant is your solution to the chosen social issue?
- Innovation: what is the core insight or innovation that differentiates your solution from other existing ones? What makes your solution/social venture idea unique?
- Impact: how will your solution improve lives? How many people will be affected if successful and to what extent? Is the solution rooted in research that identifies the scope of the social issue and the solution will help solve it?
- Scalability: if successful, how easily can your solution be replicated nationally, regionally, and globally? How will your solution be a model for other efforts?
- Feasibility: do you have a well-developed and realistic plan to implement your solution? Is your social venture financially sound?
- Step 1 – Form a Team: Form a team of 2 to 5 people who share the same vision, are between 18 and 35 years old, and choose a team leader.
- Step 2 – Share your challenge: Introduce your team and share your social challenge in a 1-minute video. Upload the video to YouTube as unlisted and include the link in your online application.
- Step 3 – Submit your application: Click on Apply below for the application form. The team leader is required to fill out the application form on behalf of the team before 5th June. Please make sure that each of the team member has read and agreed to the Official Rules and created an account on HP LIFE to access the free courses before submitting the application.
- Step 4 – Team will be selected: 30 teams wil be selected to officially join the programme. The announcement will be made on 15 June..
- Step 5 – Get ready! The programme will kick off on 22 June with an orientation for the exciting three months of intensive and engaging training.
Applications can only be accepted if the following criteria are met:
- Form a team of two to five people who share the same vision, are between 18 and 35 years old and choose a team leader.
- Each team member is required to create an account on HP LIFE by following this link for accessing free courses offered by HP LIFE. The chosen team leader must confirm that all team members have created an account and provide the email addresses used for the accounts in the online application form.
- Introduce your team and share your social challenge in a one-minute video. Upload the video to YouTube as unlisted and include the link in your online application form.
- Go to https://bechangemaker.worldskills.org/ (link below) to fill out and submit your application before 15 May – the application should be submitted by the team leader.
- The final selection of the top 30 teams to join BeChangeMaker 2020 will be announced on 29 May.
For more information, visit BeChangeMaker.